August 6, 2006

Whew, it's been a while since I posted on here. Life has been quite busy, and, to be honest, I haven't felt much like blogging lately. But, apparently that phase has passed. :) In my absence the Heckler family went camping -- Heather, Dave, Dave's dad, and, yes, Chloe. We went to Loon Lake, which is somewhat near Tahoe in the Sierra Nevadas. We left on a Thursday afternoon and came home on Sunday afternoon. What a great time!!! We hiked, swam, had an encounter with a yellow jacket nest (Chloe disturbed it, got bit, but Dave got the worst of it trying to save Chloe), and generally had a great time. It's amazing to me what getting away from work, TV, noise, and the city can do for one's soul. Although I came back pretty tired, I somehow felt refreshed. There's something about being smack dab in the middle of God's creation that makes one feel more at home -- like the superficial concerns we all are sucked into are taken away, and we are forced to acknowledge God in all His glory. Although I would not call myself a mystic, I think the monks of old had the right idea about rest, retreat, and simplicity. I sure could use more of that in my life!!!

No comments: