July 12, 2006

Moving several hundred miles from where you've always lived really forces you to get to know yourself a bit better -- especially when you've lived somewhere like Southern CA for almost 30 years. One of the things I figured out when I moved up here to Sacramento is that I'm a "suburban girl." Dave lived in downtown Sacramento and I lived in an older area of Sac which was far away from shopping, movies, etc. I hated it, but couldn't figure out why. Then I discovered Roseville, where we now live. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! It looks very similar to OC and I can go to Trader Joe's, the mall, and Target within 15 minutes. And there is no OC traffic! I never would have realized the convenience was what I loved about OC until I left. I'm thinking about this because yesterday I was home sick and Dave called to tell me that the building next to Trader Joe's was on my fire. In my sick, delerious state I replied "We have to evacuate the Chloe." Don't ask, but I was really freaked about no TJs. The Roseville FD, however, contained the fire and only one building was lost. TJs, here I come!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Okay, this is the first time I've found your blog...and I'm thinking it's funny because I grew up in Citrus Heights and now live on the Central Coast. I am visiting my parents right now, though, and the Roseville Square fire happened the first day we were here. I just thought it was kind of funny.

And, I just turned 30 myself this month, on the Central Coast, with lots of my husband's wonderful family, but not the people I am used to spending my birthday with.

just kind of interesting...Christy (friend of Karen who is linked to Susan's page...)

Sacramento Heckler said...

That is funny! I have family on the Central Coast too. Santa Barbara and Santa Maria. It's so gorgeous there! Thanks for posting... I'm gonna have to start reading your blog too now. I just took a peek and we have very similar reading lists. And, from a recent post of yours, I read Anna Kernina in college and loved it.