January 26, 2008

Unsolicited Advice

I've heard stories of mellow babies. Even seen them. You know the kind. They're happy and content in their carseat and smile happily as mom goes about her shopping. They sleep well and cry only when they need something. As I've said before this is not my Abby -- even now that she's Happy Abby. She hates her carseat and generally screams almost the entire time we're in the car, unless by luck she falls asleep. And she will NOT just sit contentedly in the infant carrier attached to the stroller as I shop. My theory is that the seat is too confining. I have what we affectionately refer to as an "active baby." Life has gotten much easier now that she can face forward in her Baby Bjorn because she LOVES that thing (of course she HATED it before she could face out) and outings are not quite the drama they once were.

Because of this, in her three short months we've had quite a few public meltdowns. Meltdowns in which she is virtually inconsolable and that garner quite a bit of attention from others. Inevitably, those witnessing said meltdown feel the need to offer advice. Here are my favorite comments and my, admittedly, snide remarks:

  • She must be hungry. This is the hands down favorite. I could be holding an empty bottle in my hand, or have just finished saying how she ate 20 minutes ago, and this is still the advice I get. Um, no, if I fed my kid as much as people seem to think I should she'd weigh 30 lbs at three months. And 16 lbs. at three months is bad enough on my arms!

  • I bet she'd be just fine if she were in her carseat/stroller. See above. The screaming would probably be worse if that were the case.

  • There must be something wrong, babies don't cry for no reason. Since when? Anyone heard of colic? Or a fussy baby? So glad your children never cried if they weren't wet, hungry, or tired, but mine does.

    All this to say, I'm going to try to curb my own penchant for giving unsolicited advice.




  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    TOTALLY! Babies just seem to attract unsolicited advice. My favorite is when I pick him up from the church nursery, and the old ladies give me an "update" on him ("He's teething, Mom. Look at all this drool"), as if I'm not with him 24-7...